Monday, February 13, 2012

Beach Mystery Reads

What is it about vacations? I have just returned from two weeks at a beach and am surprised that I didn't read more.  I brought along South of Broad by Pat Conroy, The Tower, The Zoo and The Tortoise by Julia Stuart and several classics that I loaded on my I-Pad for free.

So, there I was, all set to enjoy time to catch up on novels and classics and what did I read?  Mysteries that I found laying around the condo where we were staying.

First up was John Sanford's Bad Blood. Over the course of just three novels, the detective Virgil Flowers has become one of the most beloved new characters in crime fiction. This book is certainly not for the squeamish but there is something about Virgil Flowers that kept me wanting to know more.

Next up was ex-crime beat reporter, Michael Connolly's The Overlook featuring Harry Bosch.  In his first case since he left the LAPD’s Open Unsolved Unit for the prestigious Homicide Special squad, Harry Bosch is called out to investigate a murder that may have chilling consequences for national security.  Turns out to not be quite as it seems.




The Drop by Michael Connelly

I'm not sure I would pick up another John Sanford book but after watching the DVD The Lincoln Lawyer starring Matthew McConaughey as Mickey Haller, a cynical defense attorney, and reading The Overlook I am definitely a Michael Connelly fan.  I would love to visit Harry Bosch again in the new book The Drop.  
I just hope I have more beach time one of these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment